Wednesday, June 24, 2009

LOW CARB FRENCH TOAST WITH JULIAN BAKERY’S SMART CARB #2

Are you on a low carb diet? Are you craving French toast, but think you cannot have it?

I love French toast, but always thought it was too fattening, so I hardly ever made it. I used to order it when I went out for breakfast, just to treat myself, but found the restaurants’ varieties to be very fattening and usually not cooked to my liking.

All that has changed, however, since I found Julian Bakery’s Smart Carb #2 - Cinnamon Almond Raisin bread. It is sweet free, very high in fiber and protein, with lots of almonds, and nets at only 3 carbs per slice.

Now I can make French toast at home anytime, without feeling guilty; but if I don’t have time for that, Smart Carb #2 – Cinnamon Almond Raisin is awesome right out of the toaster.

If you want to try Smart Carb #2 as French toast, I have included the recipe below.

2 eggs
Splash of low fat milk
A drop or two of vanilla
2 slices of Julian Bakery’s Smart Carb #2 – Cinnamon Almond Raisin bread

Whip the first 3 ingredients in a bowl wide enough to accommodate a flat piece of bread.

I like to butter my bread slices first, but a chef told me that was wrong, as it would keep the egg mixture from penetrating the bread. So…I did a comparison test. I soaked one piece of plain bread and one piece of buttered bread in the egg mixture and cooked both. I cut each slice in half to compare the sliced edges. There was no difference in egg penetration, in my opinion.

Having said all that, you can butter your bread first or not as you choose. Lay your bread slices flat on top of the egg mixture one at a time. Press it down into the egg mixture with a spatula to make sure the bread slice is completely covered with egg mixture. Turn the slice over and repeat. Then do the same with the second slice.

Place both egg soaked slices in a preheated frying pan. I melt butter in the pan first, but you can spray Pam or use whatever is your preference. Just be sure that whatever you use is hot before adding the egg covered bread slices, so they will begin to cook immediately and not get soggy.

Cook bread slices over medium heat until golden brown on one side and turn over and repeat.

Add low fat maple syrup or your favorite fruit, or both, for a great way to begin your day.

Smart Carb #2 – Cinnamon Almond Raisin bread makes great French toast, with its hint of cinnamon, for any special occasion breakfast or any day you want a special treat.

Enjoy,

Samantha
Buy Our Smart Carb # 2 - http://www.julianbakery.com